Black Bean Soup
Black Bean soup is one of those meals that make your soul happy; it warms you up and makes your belly sing. Add on some fresh bread it makes the meal complete. There are a lot of bean soup recipes out there, but this is my family’s favorite! We even like to use tortilla chips and use the soup as a dip a day after (if there are any leftovers).
If you have leftovers, the best thing to do is cook down the water a little and get it nice and thicker you can use this mix for delicious Crunch Wraps too! It’s a very versatile meal that you can make into multiple meals!
(What you need to make Black Bean Soup)
- Four cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 Large carrots diced (6 baby carrots)
- One rib celery diced
- Two – four cloves garlic diced
- Two teaspoons ground cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- One container (4 fluid oz) vegetable or chicken stock
- One large white onion diced (optional)
- Two tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2-3 teaspoons of lime juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
<Let’s Make It – Black Bean>
- Put olive oil, chopped garlic, carrots, onion and celery into the pan, cook for 15 minutes or until starting to soften, on low heat.
- Add cumin, crushed red pepper, garlic, and then sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add black beans and stock to the pan and bring to simmer.
- Allow soup to simmer and thicken for 30-45 minutes.
- Remove 50% of cooked black bean soup and add to food processor or use a stick blender.
- Blend to a creamy consistency.
- Add blended soup back to the main pot and stir.
- Add salt, pepper and lime juice to taste. *Optional topping that is tasty: Sour cream, avocado, and cheese
- Serves about 4
- Add a nice leafy green salad to complement the meal! This is the kind of soup that kids will love if they love veggies. It is full of good things for your heart and body!